Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas in Thailand

I find it interesting that in a country where most people are Buddhists there are Christmas decorations and carols playing in the stores and streets. Wikipedia says the proportion of Christians in the Thai population is about 0.7% yet Thais seem to enjoy this most distinctly Christian holiday. We were in a big shopping center the other day and I heard "Frosty the Snowman" and "Jingle Bell Rock" coming from the sound system. Here are a few odd photos of this seasonal madness that have been accumulating in my smart phone since the beginning of December:
Tree at Platinum Central - Bangkok

Below is a latte decorated by the owner and barrista at Silomjoy Restaurant on Ratchadamnoen right next to Thapae Gate in Chiang Mai (N18.78774 E98.99295), our favorite place for great coffee and farang breakfasts. Each latte was different. The woman is a master of latte art.
Latte - Silomjoy restaurant - Chiang Mai
Last night I had a beer with Albie and Giancarlo at the Gecko Bar, our favorite hangout in Bangkok a short walk from our place. (N13.76173 E100.49463) The girls were dressed for the occasion.
Nok, Pooky, and Genee at the Gecko Bar
A few minutes ago I went to Tang Hua Seng, the local store where we buy groceries, to pick up some yogurt. I happened to catch Santa as he made an appearance, much to the delight of the shoppers. The background music was "The First Noel" followed by "O Little Town of Bethlehem". Where would a Thai ever hear about Bethlehem I wonder? Go figure.
Santa visits the Tang Hua Seng department store in Banglamphu
Happy elves - Teng Hua Seng
Xmas Eve 2011 - Ratchadamnoen Road - Banglamphu
I've been emailing almost daily with my sister as the big day draws near. We've been reminiscing about Christmases past. I miss the holidays with family and close friends, of course, but it feels good not to be as immersed in it as I once was. Maybe a Thai style Christmas is just about the right amount for me.

Wherever you are in the world here's wishing each and every one of you a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Peaceful New Year.

4 comments:

  1. You are reading too much into it. It is just one big party from the King’s Birthday through the New Year. Then you get the Chinese New Year. Christmas is purely a commercial holiday for the majority of people these days. Have you ever seen a Thai turn down any opportunity to celebrate?

    Enjoy the holidays. We will be staying in as we didn’t book a table at the Meridien in time. The weather is still great up here though just a little grey today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @VF - I probably am. Mark it up to inexperience with Thailand. But I know you're right when you say "any opportunity to celebrate". You gotta love that attitude at some level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to you, Dave! I hope you and Nut have a wonderful and crazy day! We'll be moving today and tomorrow and all next week into our new place. We are moving the large stuff today in a rented U Haul. The rest we'll do at our leisure. I can't wait to get settled. It's sort of a crazy way to spend the holidays. Oh well, there's always next year. Happy New Year to you as well. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who can resist a reason to feel joyful and be generous and, yes, celebrate!? I think I would enjoy the people in Thailand.

    ReplyDelete