Thursday, June 28, 2012

Adak Island

Adak?

When I was telling my friends about our upcoming trip they responded with a question: You're going to Adak? Why?

Why indeed? When Doug offered me the chance to accompany him and Bill (my partners in Alaska Boats & Permits) on a weekend flight to Adak I jumped at it. I had never been anywhere out on "the chain", as the Aleutian Islands are known to Homer fishermen, and being prone to seasickness knew if I had to take a boat to get there it was never gonna happen. I was eager to see what was out there first hand. The weather in the Aleutians is not the sort tourists seek out. A description from the official tourist guide reads: "The Aleutian climate is characterized by precipitation, fog, high winds, and frequent violent cyclonic storms. Clear, warm sunny days are rare." We already knew this from talking with friends who had fished out there but we laughed it off. We prepared ourselves for rain and wind and packed our bags accordingly. We did hope for at least a few hours of sun during our 4-day stay. Luckily, we got considerably more than that.

Adak and the Aleutians (click for a bigger image) showing ocean depths
Adak is one of many volcano studded islands that are strung in a long arc between Alaska and Russia's Kamchatka Peninsula. It's about 1100 miles west and 400 miles south of Homer situated about midway in the chain. I knew a little about Adak through my readings about World War II and that the Japanese in 1942 had invaded and occupied Attu and Kiska in their drive to dominate the Pacific. Adak was heavily fortified in March of 1942 and after building an airfield in record time (see below) used as a base to bomb Kiska, 250 miles away, and Attu, 440 miles distant. Ultimately, troops amassed on Adak assaulted Attu and after a costly battle emerged victorious. In preparation for an assault on Kiska 90,000 U.S. troops were assembled on Adak but before they ever landed the enemy garrison on Kiska was secretly evacuated and the Japanese military presence in the Aleutians finished forever. Adak remained a U.S. military outpost for many years after the end of WWII gaining importance again during the cold war when it was a forward post for gathering Soviet intelligence and a major U.S. Navy Pacific communications center. Now that the cold war has ended and the military significance of Adak vastly diminished, left in its wake are literally tons of debris and countless buildings sitting idle in various stages of decay all over the island. The U.S. Navy in 1997 may have removed its physical and economic presence from the island but it left behind countless remnants of its occupation.

It was a pleasant 3-hour flight from Anchorage on a mostly empty Alaska Airlines 737. The first thing one notices upon disembarking in Adak is the terrific wind. It's usually blowing hard and when it goes all out it's severe enough to strip the siding off houses, blow signs down and otherwise harry the inhabitants which now, after the military pull out, number only about 100 permanent residents. Jobs and money are scarce and the community is struggling to find a new economic center built around fishing and tourism.
Fishing boats in Adak Harbor

The Gannet Rocks in Kuluk Bay protect Adak Harbor
View of Sweeper Cove
As soon as we were settled into our quarters, Bill & I went for a hike while Doug stayed in town to meet some of the locals. That first day was windy and rainy but not enough to dissuade us from taking the hike. We had a pickup truck at our disposal so we drove off to find some of the first points of interest I had scoped out with the help of Google Earth and my GPS: a waterfall and a nearby lake, Lake Betty. On the way there we stopped at Finger Bay which once held extensive service facilities and anchorages for U.S. Navy PT Boats and submarines.
I'm dressed to stay warm and dry, Finger Bay in the background (N51.83245 W176.62746)
Old cabin - Finger Bay
Waterfall below Lake Betty
Windy day on Lake Betty
Along the trail to Lake Betty I noticed these old wooden water pipes and became fascinated with the idea of a pipeline to transport water down the hill all the way to town. I reckon there is enough elevation where we were standing at about 160 ft above sea level to push the water with considerable force.

Wood "barrel stave" pipe wrapped
with steel wire for strength
Wooden pipe with coupling
for joining two sections
There are many miles of gravel roads on Adak and we drove around most of the next day exploring. One road was eponymously named Bomb Storage Road. The military had facilities everywhere and built roads to connect them. Ammunition bunkers, bomb storage, personnel housing, gun emplacements, fire hydrants, quonset huts, phone lines and poles; this is what you see wherever you go on the northern part of the island.

Only a few of these quonset huts remain of the hundreds that once dotted the area
Bomb storage bunkers on Bomb Storage Road

Fire hydrants are scattered here and there
We also visited the so called Adak National Forest. There are literally no other trees on Adak so this little clump of trees is special. They were planted in 1943-45 by the Army as a morale booster. (Note: According to a comment I received in April 2016 from Louie Larson the trees were planted as a memorial for three lost fliers. See his comment below.) Only about 30 trees remain at the present date.
Adak National Forest
Right next to the "forest" is the Adak Pet Cemetery. It appears that most of the pets buried there were Christians.
We love you, Bandit,
We miss you
Pooch (1970-1985)
Best Dog in the World

Fritz Maynard (1988-1991)
A Pretty Good Dog
On the next two days we spent quite a bit of time driving around the northeastern part of the island in the vicinity of Clam Lagoon. Relics of WWII are still plentiful from the barely visible remnants of Albert E. Mitchell Field, (it's in the shape of a flattened X centered near the tip of the airplane icon below), to the gun emplacements in the hills behind Zeto Point. From the ground, you can barely discern the airfield now — we drove over the runway twice before realizing it — but Google Earth reveals faint outlines of the earthen berms that parallel the runways. It was built in just a few weeks in 1942 for use as a forward base supporting bombers, B-17s and B-24s, that flew hundreds of sorties against the Japanese on Attu and Kiska.

Albert E. Mitchell Field and Clam Lagoon (N51.936274, W176.577220)
Mitchell Field is only just visible now due to the berms alongside its runways
We had two nice afternoons for exploring.  And then the last day was almost perfect with blue-bird skies and an ocean that looked positively tropical. We started with a visit to Jean Lake and spent a few hours just hanging out in the hills overlooking Janets Cove exploring the old coastal artillery gun emplacements and enjoying the sun and sky. The Adak landscape, shrouded in clouds and mist for much of the time, revealed its true beauty that day.

Jean Lake (foreground) and Andrew Lake (N51.917088, W176.637126)
Doug, Dave and Bill at Andrew Lake, June 24, 2012
Small pond near Andrew Lake
View to the northeast from the gunmounts
View southeast from the gunmounts
Small halibut long-liner near a big hillside - a view across Janet's Cove (click image to enlarge)
Gun emplacement (N51.92792 W176.54729)
 I wanted to show the construction of these gun emplacements so I Photoshopped a circle to illustrate the iron track, only a tiny portion of which is visible in the photo, that supported the barrel.  The base of the gun was attached to the rotating center piece that was in turn attached to a concrete slab, a so called "Panama Mount". These were big guns that used a 155 mm (6 inch diameter) shell that had a range of 17 miles. They were put there to guard and protect Kuluk Bay and Adak Harbor to the south when there was still fear that the Japanese would try to push through to the mainland of the U.S. after the Pearl Harbor attack and the capture of Attu and Kiska.

All the while we were on Adak Mt. Moffett, the islands tallest peak at 4,000 feet, was hidden in a swirl of clouds and fog. But finally, on this our last day, it emerged white and resplendent.

View of Mt. Moffett from the east
My ideas about Adak and the other Aleutian Islands were changed drastically as a result of our visit. These islands are big, mountainous and beautiful. The country is treeless and owing to the gray misty climate, seems at times stark and barren. But when the sun shines it reveals itself as a gorgeously lush and beautiful land.

Nevertheless, we were happy to head back to Homer after our brief visit. Aside from the exploring and bird watching — we spotted most of the common bird species found on Adak: grey crowned ruby finches, a snow bunting, song sparrows, black oystercatchers, Aleutian terns, and bald eagles — there wasn't much else going on in Adak. There is one store, one restaurant, one liquor store, and one bar which also serves food. Everything in them is expensive (a $9 bottle of wine set us back 30 bucks, a can of evaporated milk was nearly $5) and the choices very limited. Here is a photo of the Bay Five restaurant. It's not much to look at but the Mexican style food was good and the staff friendly. None of the places mentioned above sport any signs. You just have to find them on your own.
The Bay 5
(Note August 2015: There was one other bar/restaurant we visited that I didn't talk about here because its cigarette smoke laden interior put us off but several readers have mentioned it. And a recent reader recommends the Bluebird Cafe, which we didn't happen to notice. See the comments at the end of this post.)
Doug at Bay 5
Bill at Bay 5
The neighborhood where we stayed. Most of these U.S. government built houses are deserted now.
We received a message from Alaska Airlines on Monday advising us that our return flight was to be either late or canceled. We panicked at the thought of being forced to spend another 4 days on the island because there are only 2 flights per week. In the end, our flight was merely delayed and I'm happy to say it was back to the Big City for us.

On the return flight,  I read an article, "Decontaminating Alaska", mentioning Adak in the June 2012 issue of Alaska Business Monthly I found in the seatback on the 737. As a boy I read everything I could get my hands on about WWII and thought of it as glamorous, a "good war" — it was the war my father and uncle Bill fought in after all. The truth about war, that war and all wars, only came later as I gained years and knowledge. The article fleshed out the role the U.S. armed forces played in Adak during that war. "The U.S. Navy evacuated the residents (the native Aleuts) forcibly to internment camps where many died, and burned the villages to the ground to prevent any use by the invading Japanese army..." The article goes on to describe efforts to remediate the thousands of acres of dumps, buried landfills, unexploded ordinance, asbestos, and who knows what else the Navy left behind. Although the internment of Japanese-Americans is well documented I never knew about the internment of the native Aleuts. Another shameful page in American history.

So ended our Adak adventure. Before we left I had thought of this trip as a once in a lifetime opportunity to see a remote corner of our beautiful state. It certainly met and surpassed all expectations.



Extras:
Article about a recent storm 2015

61 comments:

  1. Great essay on Adak! I used to educate people about the place when I was a naturalist for UFSWS (Adak is part of AK Maritime Wildlife Refuge), but I never had the chance to get west of Unalaska in my job. Thanks for some good pictures and stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Willy,
      Thanks for the kind words. It was a very impressive place. I had always thought of these islands as small and sort of insignificant. How wrong I was...

      Delete
    2. Hi Alaska Dave,

      I enjoyed reading your blog. I'm interested in visiting Adak. Both my parents were stationed there in 1980 and where I was born. I left when I was 3 so I would like to go back and see where I was born. If you have any advice on how to travel/touring Adak I would greatly appreciate it!
      Thanks! chandrabrown80@gmail.com

      Delete
    3. Hi Chandra,

      I can't provide much information other than what's in the post and the fact that Alaska Airlines still flies out there twice a week from Anchorage. That is what makes it affordable. Paying for a charter flight is the only other way except for a very infrequent ferry service that takes freight out to the village.

      You can read about Adak's horrific weather on the Internet. We were very fortunate to have had the nice weather we experienced. I think June is the best month to visit, same as for the rest of Alaska. Long days and very little full darkness at night are a definite plus on Adak, where even the days aren't that bright.

      Delete
  2. Hello Dave,
    very nice story indeed. I usually not much of a reader, but U kept my attention, and the wonderful pictures. If I may, one error: "Doug, Dave and Bill at Andrew Lake, July 24, 2012", We still in June, one more day.
    Over all, U a good writer. Myself, would not want to go to places like this even if it was free. I like places like Krabi island in Thailand, I hate cold weather. (maybe why they burned the villages to keep warm? lol (if I was send to a place like this, when in the Army, I would feel I was punished like being send to Siberia, while my buddies doing the hula in Hawaii).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for noticing my error. And thanks for reading.

      Delete
  3. Hi Dave,
    Nice article and photos about Adak! My husband and I are from there, he was born there and we both grew up there--it's our hometown. We live in Anchorage now, and we were last out there to visit in April of this year.
    I had to let you know, though, that the cemetery by the Adak Forest is NOT a cemetery for military dogs, though there is one or two there now. It is Adak's pet cemetery--dogs, cats, guinea pigs, rabbits, hermit crabs--all kinds of critters are buried there, some with just stone mounds instead of headstones. It's really become overgrown with time.
    It's too bad you didn't get to see just how many Quonset huts really used to be out there--there were hundreds, even back in the early '90's. They made great party cabins for our high school parties. Lots of old WWII stuff to be found in the tundra, too.
    We're hoping AK Airlines will continue to fly out there, but we don't know yet. It would be great to have people fly out there easily, as you can also use your AK air miles for the trips.
    Cheers,
    Laura Winckler Moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback, Laura. I'll correct my comments about the cemetery. I read that tidbit about the guard dogs somewhere on the Internet. And yes, I've seen photos of the dwellings and quonset huts during the peak years of military presence and it was amazing to thing how much has changed since the late 90s.

      There was a lot of talk about AkAir discontinuing its Adak service but several people we asked thought there was enough money in "the contract" to make it worthwhile. Exactly what this contract entails is unknown to me b utI certainly hope they continue to fly there. Btw, we used AK miles to buy the tickets.

      Be well...

      Delete
  4. Your photos are marvelous. I live in Anchorage and have visited Adak three times, including twice this year. I have a strong interest in the island's WWII history (I have written a play, currently in revision, which takes place on Adak Army Air Base in March 1944---you can learn more at www.windblownanddripping.com, a site in need of an update). The neglect, deterioration and ruin in Adak and surrounding former military facilities are sad and even shocking. I was particularly bummed out to see what's happening to the Bering Sea Chapel, built in 1944 and a candidate for the National Register of Historic Places, if not already on that registry. The chapel is close to the tipping point where it will become totally unfeasible to restore. Anyway, here's a link to some of my own photos of Adak--not nearly as fine as yours but they do contain a good bit of information -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/knighties/with/4833613826/#photo_4833613826
    ... I was very surprised to read that Alaska Airlines had to delay a flight to Adak. Strange.
    By the way--there is a second restaurant in Adak, the Adak Sports Bar & Grill, or ASBAG. The Bay 5 is new, opened in spring of this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Pico - Thank you so much for your kind comments and the link to your Flickr photo stream. We all love your photographs and, like you, I'm shocked to see the waste left behind by the Navy. I'm fascinated by all things relating to WWII and when the chance to go to Adak presented itself, as I said in the blog, I jumped on it. Much of my motivation was so I could see the remaining WWII artifacts. I bet Attu and Kiska are very cool places to visit as well. Not sure I'll ever get way out there though.

    I wasn't being quite accurate about Bay Five :-) I know about the Sports Bar restaurant. We ate there once and the owner was nice and the food okay. But we didn't like eating in the always smoke filled bar so I neglected to mention it.

    Anyway, thanks again...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marvelous tour of Adak. Did you ever hear of a Kiska Kate who worked in a diner on Adak during the war?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of her and a quick Google produced nothing substantial. What do you know?

      Delete
  7. Adak, I spent one year there after two tours of Vietnam. One year was the limit the Navy could keep you there, thank God I said then, I didn't want to go there. I was in the Navy Seabees, MCB-3 After Vietnam, half of us went to Adak, the other half, HAWAII! Oh was I mad. I was 21 years old, what did I know? Now I'm 67 and would love to go back.I lived in that old wooden airplane hanger, next to the runway. Is it still there? lot of memory's there. We had to evacuate many times because of earthquakes, I think from Mt.Sitka, it was always smoking. We flew on Reeves airline, a rickety, small airplane. You don't here much about Adak, so this was special for me to read and see the pictures. By the way, I was a aircraft refuler, fuel up the plane then get the truck fuelled up again, in all kinds of weather, at all times of night, not fun. Not much snow on the Island, Oh it snowed all the time, but it snowed sidways and blew right over the Island. I could go on and on but thank you very much Alaska Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim,
      Thanks for your comment. It must have been quite an experience to live there when you did. Not sure I would have enjoyed it either. Too bad you missed duty in Hawaii.

      We drove all around the old base and saw many old buildings but all the wooden ones had collapsed. The ones left standing were fairly modern ones with concrete slab floors and metal roofs. They were in fine shape, but utterly deserted.

      We did enjoy pretty good weather during our 4-day visit but I was imagining being stuck there for a season and it was not a pleasant thought.

      Best to you...

      Delete
  8. I was stationed there in 1972 with the Navy Fire Department and I would like to go back to Adak to live there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this - I am planning on going to Adak in May for three days for no better reason than "because it is there" ... this is a really helpful piece

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was stationed in Adak in 1977. I constantly backpacked the island when I had my 80 hours off. The Navy had placed survival barrels around the island. You could sleep in them, and they had K rations and a down sleeping bag. I was to the top of Moffett at least 3 times. I found streams so packed with hump backed salmon it seemed that you could walk across them. Solitude and wind. I would love to see again. I hiked along Lake Betty, over the pass, and all the way to the other side of the island. There was a cabin there at the time. Just a roof, fire stove, and all the rat crap you could ever want. Do you know if the survival barrels are still out there? The beauty in the island is everything outside of the base. It is a giant preserve that looks prehistoric in the summer months it is so lush and green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see any survival barrels that I know of. And if they were there I'm sure anything of value left inside of them would be long gone now. What remains is, as you can see, ruins of old WWII-era buildings and newer cold war structures that are in remarkably good condition structurally.

      I agree about the lush beauty, which is also true of many other places in Alaska. There is nothing quite like summer in the Last Frontier. I hope you get back up there someday.

      Thanks for your comment...

      Delete
    2. I've backpacked and hunted on Adak several times. As of 2021, some/many of the survival barrels are still there, but none of the ones I've seen have look habitable. Most of them have rolled into the lakes they were put next to and are filled with water and mold.

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your report on Adak. I research as much as I can find about Adak during WWll. My dad was stationed there as a U.S. Army as a Sargent in charge of a coastal artillery gun. Who knows, it could be the gun you photographed and posted in your report.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was stationed on Adak in 85. And 86. Part of me is still there There are so many of us former residents who would love to revisit and help our beloved Adak. So sad to see a place that was once so thriving and important fall into such disrepair. I long for it's simple beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was with the Marine Barracks 85 to 86, and I have never missed anywhere the way I miss that Island. I would love to go back.

      Delete
  15. It's been interesting, and surprising, to learn that so many people miss Adak and dream about returning. Is it because they miss the camaraderie they enjoyed with friends sharing a difficult assignment? Or is it because most of the armed forces personnel who served here had never seen such isolated splendour before? As an expat who now lives in Thailand most of the year, I know I miss the splendid scenery, the clear air and pure waters of Alaska.

    I know I would enjoy another visit to the Aleutians someday. It's just possible — stranger things have happened before.

    Thanks for your comments, one and all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enjoyed your post - brought back memories of a bygone era. I was stationed at NSGA 1977-1978 and loved it. Think of Adak often - even after all these years - that's how special it was to anyone that has been there. Thank you again for your post. God Speed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. stationed Adak as a Seabee in '50 and'51, Most of our work was repairing the fuel dock as the wind caused ships to damage the wooden pilings and decking.Reeves and navy planes had trouble landing because of strong crosswinds. Caught lots of shrimp in basket nets , peel and eat h'mmm Enjoyed your pic's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. I'm glad you enjoyed it.Yes, the wind is a factor in everything that happens out there. If it isn't nailed down, it's gonna fly away eventually.

      Delete
  18. Harold (Efland, NC)June 29, 2015 at 12:53 PM

    I really enjoyed reading your article. I was stationed at NSGA 1981-1982 and really liked it. I still tell everyone it's the best place I was ever stationed. I would like to go back. Actually I would like to move there one day. I know there are not many folks there now but was wondering if there are places for sell up there. I'm retired now so I could focus on hunting and fishing and just enjoying the outdoors. If you have any information I sure would appreciate it. Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting. I'm not sure I would have enjoyed staying on the island for a long period of time. I don't do well in such conditions but Adak and the other islands on the chain are starkly beautiful and I understand the desire to be there, witnessing some of the wildest most remote country in the U.S.
      I think there are many homes for sale that are probably available quite cheap. I don't have any useful information about housing though. Remember too, the cost of living on Adak must be very high considering what we had to pay for groceries and gas. It's not an ideal retirement destination unless you understand that going in. That said, if you were to visit Alaska sometime soon, getting to Adak and back is easy, comfortable and not outrageously expensive.

      Delete
  19. Laurie Sanders (Edisto Island, SC)July 24, 2015 at 8:23 AM

    Thank you for posting this. I lived on Adak 1991-1993. I was wondering some of the same things others have asked, so I won't repeat the questions. I was wondering if you got a chance to go by the Bob Reeve High School. It was completed when I was there at a supposed cost of $23 million. It was thereafter only used as a school for 4 or 5 years. I learned how to roll kayaks in the school's Olympic size swimming pool. Do you know if the building is being used for something?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Laurie,

    No, I'm sorry to say I did not visit or notice the school. There are so few permanent residents on Adak that I seriously doubt the building is being used much if indeed it still exists. Heating and maintenance would be a big expense for such a small population.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Laurie,
    I passed though Adak this summer on a sailboat and, yes, 'Bob Reeve High School and Mt. Moffett Middle School' is still there and is being used as the Adak City Hall, US Post Office & Clinic ... the' Ann C. Stevens Eleme tary School' (the "n" is missing on the sign) across the street looked closed up. We didn't have much time to visit ... had lunch at the Mexican Restaurant, bought fuel & beer and headed out.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good information. Thank you. I don't know whether Laurie will see it but I hope she does.

      Delete
  22. David,
    Great piece about Adak. I am planning to visit there next month. May I contact you directly to get some personal recommendations? I'm at: jcoinc@gmail.com Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it Jeffrey. I'll shoot you and email but I'm afraid I can't offer much information besides what appears in this article.

      Delete
  23. This is a great article. My husband does UXO so I had the pleasure of spending May - mid August of this year on adak. I think everyone needs to visit this place. It's such a wonderful experience.

    In your article you mention bay 5 as being the only real restaurant in town. While the inside of bay 5 does seem set up more like a restaurant, we preferred blue bird over bay 5. The owners of blue bird (Mike and Imelda) are so friendly. We felt much more comfortable there.

    I would also suggest to anyone traveling here to go in July or August. The weather is definitely the best in those months. And if you happen to be there over the 4th of July the whole island turns into one big family, and they actually have a lot of events for such a small community. One of them is the polar plunge which is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jenn,

      Thanks for the good feedback. I don't think the Bluebird Cafe was operating when we were there but we might have missed it. If I ever get back there I'll try the Bluebird.

      Another reader has recently requested information about Adak. Jeffrey plans to visit later this year (see his comment above). I wasn't able to supply much information other than what I've already written but perhaps you would be willing to help. He's looking for a place to stay, car rentals, etc. If you are willing, drop him a line at jcoinc@gmail.com.

      Thanks again for reading.

      Dave

      Delete
    2. UneXploded Ordinance - bombs usually. There are apparently quite a few bombs lying around on Adak.

      Delete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Our family lived on Adak in 1957-1959. Dad was a Navy man and asked to be stationed there due to my asthma...the doctors believed if we could live in mega clean air it would help my my wellness...and it did. Life there was amazing with hiking and finding left overs from World War II, amazing salmon and wild shrimp to eat...and the education experience and youth group was awesome. Great memor I es. It was, and perhaps still is, such a pure place. Would love to return...at 70 years old, I better make a decision! Loved your photos...I remembered some of the sights....thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the post and I do hope you get to make a visit. It is a truly remarkable place. I might have a different opinion if we had been rained in for 4 days but we were lucky and took away only good memories..

      Delete
  26. I was stationed on the USCGC Clover at Adak in 1962. Spending a year there was fantastic. Being a radioman I had plenty of time to read and photography is a favorite pastime. Most of my pictures from that era were lost in the '90s so I can't add anything to your beautiful photos. I did a lot of hiking on the island but my Capt. insisted I carry a heavy radio so I could keep in contact with the ship so that slowed me down a great deal. Radio and photo equipment was a lot to carry but it was fun. I couldn't be away from the ship overnight; a problem which also limited my travels. Fresh seafood was always available and prepared over a driftwood fire was better than the best. I'm almost 80 now and have given up thoughts of returning to the island, but the wish is still there. Thank you for the fine article. Bartholomew Bartok, RM1, USCG long retired. 01/11/2016 2305EST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bartholomew,
      Thank you for reading and taking the time to write. This post, written more or less for my friends and family, has generated many comments from near and far and has apparently sparked many memories as well. I'm very glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  27. Pulled into Adak as a crewman onboard the USS Flasher (fast attack nuclear submarine) for a day when it was still a US Navy base (1990 or so). Stunningly beautiful island, I bet the fishing is really great.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for nice article, we are planning to visitt the island for a month, only concern is, it seems there is nothing that can be used for campfire, true?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, firewood is almost nonexistent. You might find a few sticks of driftwood on the beaches but I don't recall seeing any now that you ask. If you plan to camp make sure you take enough foul weather gear, and ropes to tie everything down because the wind can be fierce.
      Thanks for reading. Enjoy your visit.

      Delete
  29. i was stationed in ADAK in the NAVY from 1995 to 1997 and your pictures brought back a lot of memories. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for your post, and the comments of others adding to it. Was stationed at the NSGA out by Clam Lagoon, Oct 1972 - Aug 1975. Met my good wife, whose brother's family was stationed there; after our marriage in Los Angeles, she came up and we had one unit of a duplex in Upper Amulet housing, near the high school, off the road up to Bering Hill. We were two of 50-60 members of the Adak Branch of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- close-knit, did a lot of things together. Our elder son was born there in the small naval hospital. Must dispell false misinformation about the trees there. Along one of the many gravel roads, north and within sight of the north-south runway, in a wind-sheltered hillside and near a quonset hut, was a stand of several eight or nine foot pines or firs. There was a placque dedicating them to the memory of three military aviators who'd lost their lives. I have photos to prove it. We have very fond memories of Adak. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the information Louie. I updated the post to include it.

      Delete
  31. Friend and I booked for Adak in early October. Finally going to visit the westernmost civilian settlement in the US. The trick is to use miles - can't believe we booked these at the lowest mileage rate. A $1500-2000 flight cost $10 apiece after the miles. We hope early-October is still nice enough considering Adak, we've heard we should still be ok. Your blog is truly helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow. I enjoyed the wonderful articles about Adak. I was stationed there in the early nineties. I really enjoyed my time there. Married a sailor and returned in the mid nineties. Had a great time both times. Thanks very much Alaska Dave for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're certainly welcome. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  33. Thanks Dave, enjoyed your comments and photos. I was a Navy brat 1973-75 on Adak and really enjoyed our tour there as a teen, but like most was ready to leave the ‘rock’ when were getting ‘short’, as the saying went :)
    Many fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I was stationed on Adak in 1973-74 as part of a Seabee Detail from MCB62. We were remodeling the WW2 aircraft hangar into a hobby shop. We were there over a winter and saw mostly wind rain and snow. Just a few sunny days. Thanks for your story. Dempsey Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wao! these dudes wrote a whole essay on adak and netflix just released a series. Going to this essay after watching netflix series on adak was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Came here after watching Pirate Gold of Adak Island on Netflix. Amazing place, amazing story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked my story. I don't much like reality TV because of the forced dramatizations involved but I just had to watch the first few episodes of Pirate Gold. It reminded me of the fine time I spent there back in 2012. Some of the scenes looked just like my photos.

      Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  37. Was stationed there in 67. After a tour of Vietnam. Volunteered so I wouldn’t have to go back. Was a bar tender at the “Tundra Tavern “ and worked in the brig. Kind of a conflict of interest The Marine barracks was comfortable and attached was a theater, bowling alley snack bar library gym and more I loved it there . I came home from VN weighing 135. And home from Adak 180. Then discharged in Bremerton Wash Great memories. Fishing and exploring. Thanks for your article. Tom McHale

    ReplyDelete