Friday, August 30, 2013

Route 3009 - a favorite ride

I first discovered this scenic byway when Nut and I traveled to the popular little hamlet of Pai a couple of years ago on the Phantom. My GPS was actually responsible for finding it because I asked it to take us to Pai by the "shortest route", rather then the usual setting of "fastest route". The quickest way to get there involves driving the traffic-choked Route 107 north to Route 1095, hanging a left and following that road to Pai for about three hours. Route 1095 is a pretty road in itself and is one I've occasionally mentioned before in this journal. Route 3009, the shortcut, traverses some very pretty farmland more or less diagonally between R 107 and R 1095. It shaves a couple of miles off the journey but is a slower ride and much more scenic than the faster route. Nut and I often drive out to a little coffee shop, Pankret Cafe, just for the fun of the ride.
Route 3009 (purple) shaves a few miles off the trip to Pai
The first few photos below have appeared in another post but I included them here because I like them so much. These scenes are from September of 2012. In order to see them best you should click on each to open in a new window. My newest camera, a Sony RX100 (which replaced my Canon G10), with its extra large sensor does an incredible job for such a small camera.

Rice field - Route 3009

Rice field - Route 3009

Rice field - Route 3009
Fast forward to August of this year and almost the first thing Nut and I did was hop on the bike and ride the 3009 for a visit to the Pankret Cafe.







It is still summer in Thailand yet the weather has been nicer than I expected. It is uncomfortably hot in the afternoons and it does rain almost every day, as you can tell from the dark clouds in the photos above, but when it does rain it cools things off nicely. Riding a motorcycle on cloudy days like these is a joy.

We had our coffee and took the obligatory photos of the beautiful orchids at the Pankret Cafe. I recently watched a Youtube video about fine photography and in it the hosts advised aspiring photographers never to include flower pictures in their portfolios because they're just too common a subject, and ahem, because all flowers are beautiful already. Even though orchids can be found literally everywhere in Thailand and despite the aforementioned sage advice to the contrary, I couldn't resist these beauties.



Oh, the new motorcycle arrived a few days ago too. It's a fantastic machine! It fits me much, much better then the CBR and it has power to spare. We've done a few rides already, the Samoeng Loop, another favorite, and a couple of mapping runs in the country north of here. I'll have more to say about the CB500X in future posts.




Danny, Ning (our landlord), me and Nut

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your BEAUTIFUL new Honda. It definitely looks like it fits much better and has room enough for you and Nut comfortably.

    I was just thinking about you and wondering when you were returning to Thailand and there you are. Man, I'd love to visit there sometime, it's sooooo rich and lush and the roads look like a blast. Something to add to my bucket list.

    Hope you are feeling fantastic. I think of you both fondly!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna,

      Thank you. I do hope you can come over here someday to do some riding. And remember, the most expensive part of a trip to Thailand is the airfare.
      oxoxoxo

      Delete
  2. Hi Dave,

    First of all, sorry for my horrible english. I was surfing the Net, looking for tall screens for my new cb500x when Google showed up your pics on your nice blog. Quite a place to live!! Just for a bit of contrast, you can take a look to my country, Spain, in my blog. I did a few ride reports with a bunch of pics. http://juanjodominguez.wordpress.com

    Wold you be kind enough to let me know about you smoked windshield? Do you know if there is any online shop that sells them? Or at least the name of the manufacturer?

    Thanks a lot in advance
    Juanjo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Juanjo,

      I am pleased you found my blog. Thanks for your comment. Yes, Thailand is a dream for motorcycling, as long as you can get out in the country where the roads are curvy and full of hills. The CB500X is the perfect bike for touring here because the scale of things is so small; there are no big straight highways like the U.S. Plus, most of my rides are with my Thai girlfriend, so I ride 2-up most of the time.

      The smoke windshield is a fantastic addition to the bike. Wind noise is very low. At the speeds I normally ride (80-90 kph) I need no ear protection at all. I am 188 cm tall and this windshield is almost not high enough -- I could actually use one that is a bit taller. I bought it for $45 USD at the local Honda shop where I bought my bike. I called there just now to ask about it and he said a shop here in Chiang Mai makes them. There is no marking on it of any kind. I will go to the Honda dealer with my Thai girlfriend and try to learn more and if I can find out anything else I will let you know.

      The riding in Spain must be very nice as well. A good friend of mine recently toured Spain for 2 or 3 weeks on a rented BMW. She loved it! The food, the wine, the beautiful roads. I too visited Barcelona, Valencia and Bilbao a few years ago and enjoyed myself very much. Ah, the pintxos in Bilbao were most memorable. See my blog in December 2009 for photos, etc.

      Thanks again for reading. Enjoy your wonderful CB500X.
      Dave

      Delete
    2. hi dave I too would like to know where I could purchase one of these windshields,love the blog good pics on here.

      cheers from roger
      Esperance WA

      Delete
    3. Thanks for reading, Roger, and thanks for your generous comment. As I wrote to Juanjo above, my dealer here in Chiang Mai, Thailand, had the windshield in stock and I snapped it up recalling how much I have always suffered from wind noise. Apparently a local manufacturer of moto accessories made them. I'll try to find out more about it and post any info I obtain on my blog.

      Delete
    4. no rush mate the bike is on order wont be here till mid to end of November as have to get a 2014 model,keep up the good wok on the blog dave.

      cheers from roger

      Delete
  3. Thanks for all your help Dave!

    ReplyDelete